Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Israel's at it again!

Today started like any other day: I woke up and signed into my Facebook to see if there was anything new going on in the lives of my family and friends (usually there isn't, so I wasn't expecting much). However, to my shock and dismay, many people had posted articles, videos and pictures about the Israeli Army that raided a relief ship headed to aid Gaza. 

Clearly, I didn't know much about the situation, so I did my own research to get the whole story. It turned out that Israel raided a flotilla (a total of six ships) with humanitarian aid and activists hoping to peacefully battle the illegal three-year blockade Israel has set against Gaza. Israeli officers raided the ships and violently opened fire, killing at least 9 innocent victims and wounding many more. One of the activists who was released said that the Israeli commandos used stun guns on the passengers and beat them! The aid ship was turned into "a lake of blood." To no one's surprise, Israel hasn't taken responsibility for this horrific attack, using something along the lines of "self-defense" as the reason and justification for their actions. 

I wonder what these peaceful activists provoked them with...food supplies, perhaps?

Honestly, reading what happened first got me so angry! Then, I just felt a little numb. I was overtaken with sadness, not only because of what happened, but because I felt completely useless. Here I am, waking up in my comfortable bed, from a good night's sleep, grabbing my expensive laptop, logging onto something as useless as Facebook, while other people, no, other MUSLIMS, are out there, struggling for something as simple as food.


Many of my friends had also posted links to petitions and letters that could be sent to various government officials condemning the complete defiance of international law by Israel. I went around trying to find all the petitions I could and signed them, using my real name, address and phone number, hoping that that would somehow make me feel like I did something proactive. 

Did it help?

Not really. But I just didn't know what else to do. I mean, I can't just jump on a ship and go to aid Gaza, can I?

Then, just a little while later, I was reading the translation of the Quran, and I came across a section that put a little peace in my heart (isn't it just an absolute WONDER how whatever is going on in your life, you run across an ayat that pertains to your situation!). Allah (swt) has told us time and again in the Quran that the Jews are not our friends:

"If a good befalls you, it grieves them (ie. Jews), but if some evil overtakes you, they rejoice at it. But if you remain patient and become Al-Muttaqun (the pious), not the least harm will their cunning do to you. Surely, Allah surrounds all that they do."
-Surah Al-Imran, Ayat 120

Indeed, Allah (swt) has warned us about the evil hopes that others have towards us, the Muslims. Instead of letting this defeat me and make me feel hopeless, I realized this event should, if anything, increase my iman and make me stronger in my deen. It should help me to become Al-Muttaqun. I pray that there is something I will be able to do to make a difference. After all, dua is the weapon of the believer. I will use this event to strengthen myself and my iman.

See link for actual article:
"Gaza aid flotilla activists talk of beatings, electric shocks"

May Allah (swt) protect all the Muslims!

Ameen!

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Salaam! Mashallah i'm so glad you too posted about it! The muslim bloggers are rather silent on this issue as it happens!

    You know sis, i felt the same way. Sitting countries away i felt so helpless and frustrated. But this is exactly what we can do being far away. WRITE about it! If not with our hands, at least with our words we can make maybe just a lil bit of difference somewhere, even if it be just one heart.

    Also, it's more like i think that the Evil people, the Evil zionists are not our friends and not specifically Jews. The ayah you quoted is perhaps not general. Cuz there are so many good Jewish ppl in Israel itself who are defending the cause of Palestine. The Rabbis for Human Rights, Gisha, etc are examples :)

    Keep the posts coming :)
    SubhanAllah!

    ReplyDelete