Monday, June 14, 2010

Khushoo during Salah

If you're anything like me, and I say this truly hoping you are not, then you might struggle during salah. Sometimes, it is very hard for me to have khushoo (devotion, concentration) during my prayers and my mind tends to wander off into things that don't matter, an errand I have to run or something that happened the previous day. I literally have to force myself to mentally and emotionally get back into my salah.

Therefore, I wanted to share 10 tips to help anyone, especially myself, who may need advice to have khushoo in prayer and get more out of their salah, inshallah.

I went to a halaqa and Alhamdulillah, that was the topic that was being discussed so I took notes:

10 Things that will Help Achieve Khushoo in Prayer

1. Answer the Call right away (pray on time)
2. Concentrate on where you pray- choose a place that is clear of ornaments and colors, anything that takes away your concentration
3. Do not pray in the presence of hunger or if you have to go to the bathroom
4. Don’t be a liar when you say “Allahu Akbar” – God is the Greatest – say it like you mean it and don’t think about something else
5. Pray as if it is your last prayer on earth
6. When you pray, beautify your voice, enough so that you can hear yourself– recite slowly and understand what you are saying – when we hear, we concentrate more
7. Think of what you are saying and what the verses mean – recite new ayahs
8. Understand what prayer is:
-realize why we make wudu – purify your body on the outside and the inside
-realize what it means to face the kibla – leave everything behind and facing the kibla
-realize what it means to make sujood - you are humbling yourself and facing Allah (swt)
9. Khanzab- Shaiytan – his sole job is to destroy your salah – say "aoodoo billa" and spit 3 times on your left side – realize that you are in battle with him and you have to be focused - do not let him win
10. Don’t make your salah too long, that you cannot concentrate, and don’t make it so short so that you cannot concentrate – keep it an average length

Hope this helps, inshallah.

May Allah (swt) accept our salah and prayers! Ameen!

Until next time...

7 comments:

  1. Nice post:) I find it hard to keep concentration sometimes too and I think the key is to be consistent with Salaat. Like you say, on time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, all I need is to figure out how to actually get motivated to pray. I just can't seem to get myself to pray:(!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a very nice post! i find it hard to be khusoo everytime i pray. thank you so much! =)

    dont forget to visit my new blog
    http://tremendousmagz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great list! I've been looking for the answers to this problem... JazakAllah khair =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assamalaikum, It happens to me too, thanks alot for the post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mashallah - very useful.

    I hope you don't mind but i will post this on my blog on the 3rd october 2010 for my readers to enjoy inshallah. :)

    Jazakallah khair sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. JazakAllahu khair.This is very helful indeed. May Allah increase our knowledge.

    ReplyDelete