Saturday, June 5, 2010

Silent Inspiration

We're all inspired, inspired by someone or something to take some sort of action, to make some kind of change. I'm sure we all hope to inspire someone, anyone, to do something wonderful, something Allah (swt) will be pleased with, because we will reap the rewards of their actions our whole lives, without taking away their good deeds. Subhanallah, the mercy of Allah (swt)!

I can't say if I've inspired anyone in my life, I hope I have, but there is really no way of knowing for sure. But what I do know is that I have been inspired recently, Alhamdulillah, by someone I did not expect. We'll call her Aaliyah (only because I really like that name and tried to have my named changed to Aaliyah, but my family refused to call me that, so I gave up, but that's besides the point...lol).

Anyway, Aaliyah is a friend of mine and she is a very nice girl. However, I never imagined that Aaliyah would wear hijab and I thought if she did, it would be not until way later, like 5 years at least. But recently, Aaliyah put on the hijab, masha'Allah. I was so happy to see her when she knocked on my door, proudly wearing her white and black hijab on her head. I was so shocked when I saw her and a part of me, a huge part, felt guilty, because there she was covered and modest, meanwhile I did not even wear hijab.

Don't get me wrong, my shock was not due to Aaliyah's lack of iman or anything; she is mashallah a very good Muslim. Rather, it was because of her family, who is very against hijab. She told me that her family already considered her a bit of an "extremist" for praying and fasting, so putting on the hijab seemed like something that was not in her near future.

But against all odds and by the will of Allah (swt), she chose to wear the hijab anyway. She put Allah's (swt) command first, putting aside not just others thought, but what her family would think and how they would react, which was not pleasant. She faced many trials with her family after wearing the hijab, but she did not weaken or take it off. Her tears in this life will come as her rewards in the akhira, inshallah!

I was overwhelmed by her strength, proud of her courage and jealous of her commitment and iman. She truly inspired me and made me feel the guilt of disobeying Allah's (swt) command without even saying a single word. She was a huge inspiration for me.

May Allah (swt) reward her for her efforts and grant her a beautiful palace in Jannat-al-firdous!

Ameen!

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. salam.. this post makes me realize - once again - that I'm living a lot easier life regarding the hijab.. I live in a country where Islam is majority and hijab is very well accepted.. Alhamdulillah..
    Hope you girls stay strong in Allah's bless..
    http://livingdaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This girl "Aaliyah" reminds me of myself. I also suddenly decided to wear hijab almost six months ago and shocked all my friends and family members because just a month before I decided to wear hijab I was partying and living the life of a normal teenager. SubhanAllah. "Whomever Allah guides, no one can misguide, and whomever Allah misguides, no one can guide."

    ReplyDelete