Sunday, November 21, 2010

Change Doesn't Happen on its Own, You Have to Make it Happen!


I want to make some changes in my life, inshallah. A little while ago, I was feeling really low and felt that my iman was on a plateau. Alhamdulillah, going to Santa Clara really helped because I was able to hang out with my sister-in-law who is a very good role model. Ever since I came back, I have been reading more Quran, spending more time in prayer and more time making dua. Alhamdulillah.

I want this change to continue but I know it's not just going to happen on it's own. If we want to be better Muslims, better versions of ourselves, then we have to put in the effort. We have to push ourselves and physically make a change.

I was sitting around hoping for iman to go up but that passive-aggressive behavior didn't get me the boost I needed. Now, I am setting some goals for myself to inshallah become a better Muslim. May Allah (swt) make it easy on me and help me. Ameen!

Here are a few goals I am setting for myself:

1. Stop wearing skinny jeans - I never used to wear them and then I started last winter because it was so easy to wear my boots on top of my jeans. However, I feel bad every time I wear them, since I know they are so tight. This one is going to be hard, because it's practically all I wear, but inshallah I am going to try and start wearing looser jeans.

2. Wear looser clothes, in general - In my opinion, I wear pretty loose tops, but I know I can do much better, so inshallah I will try to buy bigger sizes, in efforts to make my dressing more modest. Mediums and Larges instead of Smalls.

3. Recite at least 2 pages from the Quran every day- Inshallah I will try to do more, but I have to set at least a minimum goal here.

4. Read the English Translation of the ayats I read - This will give me something more practical to focus on and help me understand what I read.

5. Update my Facebook status with some Islamic Inspiration a few times a week - I plan to write maybe an ayat, dua, or some other Islamic knowledge in my FB status inshallah, so that people can read it and remember Allah (swt) and maybe I can reap some rewards inshallah for giving them that reminder.

6. Say Tasbih after each salah - I do say tasbih sometimes after my salah, but sometimes I don't because I'm in a hurry or just because I want to do something else. But I really need to put in the effort to sit on the prayer mat for just a little while longer and praise The Almighty!

That's all for now. I don't want to overwhelm myself with too much that I can't handle. I really hope I can keep up with my goals, inshallah. If anyone else is hoping for a change in their life, try to do the same and set goals for yourself, so that you have guidelines to follow and try to change things that you know you want to, but think might be too hard (like the jeans, for me).

Please keep me in your duas inshallah and I shall try to keep all of you in mine!

Until next time...

9 comments:

  1. May Allah guide us Sister!Your goals are simple & I'm planning to implement them from now as I type this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really good to set goals for achieving something! I wish you much luck to fullfill them in continuity inshaallah...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. May all the things you are planning to do turn out to be successful and bring happiness to you. All the luck in the world ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a good plan =) I know what you meant about the skinny jeans and boots, does look good but I feel bad too =/ I've bought different boots and normally wear it with a long top and a coat. In a way I'm lucky to live in a cold place since I don't need an excuse to layer =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we move to draw closer to Allah walking, Allah runs onto us. Allah knows your heart. You will see you Iman increase by just adding these few things into your life. May Allah bless you. Don't let the Shaytan discourage you. If you give up something you like (wearing skinny jeans) for the pleasure of Allah, imagine the reward you will receive. Stay Strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the support! Alhamdulillah, I have been doing these things everyday and it feel great. I haven't worn skinny jeans and I am reciting a lot of quran so alhamdulillah. I hope I can keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hopeful, Mabrook!! may Allah(swt) keep you steadfast and increase for you all that is Khair!! Aameen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you have facebook??? can l add u?????

    ReplyDelete