Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ramadan Reflections - Day 9 & 10

It is hard to keep ties of kinship when our relatives do not want to associate with us. Our own family can become our biggest test. However, we cannot control anyone but ourselves. So we have to try our best to remain polite and keep ties with our family. There are times that I find it extremely difficult to be nice to someone who is cutting me off or being rude to my parents. It is hurtful and insulting, but alhamdulillah this is our test.

Remember, Allah (swt) has chosen everything in your life for you, your body, your friends, your family. So the family that we are given are best for us, whether we see it or not. Therefore, it's our duty to respect and cherish what Allah (swt) has given us.

There are times, when this becomes to difficult. In such times, look to the hadith of the Prophet (saw):

Abu Hurayra said, "A man came to the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and said, 'Messenger of Allah! I have relatives with whom I maintain ties while they cut me off. I am good to them while they are bad to me. They behave foolishly towards me while I am forbearing towards them.' The Prophet said, 'If things are as you said, it is as if you were putting hot ashes on them and you will not lack a supporter against them from Allah as long as you continue to do that.'"
This advice I give to myself because I know I can be a better person to relatives who are not the best to me. The rest is up to Allah (swt).

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Assalamualaykum :) a friend once advised me about this. She said, "Never give up on the people who are close to you. Be the person who lifts them up to the best person that they can be. After all, it's not just them who will benefit from it. Allah will benefit you for your efforts too.

    I listened to a lecture by Nouman Ali Khan about a woman who came to him telling him that she was giving up on her 'bad' son. Nouman spoke of two prophets who had to deal with this problem:

    1)Musa alayhissalaam. Firaun's wife took him for a son and raised him. By right, (correct me if I'm wrong), he had Firaun for 'dad'. But Allah, the Most Merciful, commanded Musa to tell Firaun to believe in Him. Allah, the All-Knowing, knows that Firaun's never going to believe, but He still gave him a chance via Musa. I mean, this is the cruelest of man we're talking about, he killed babies! But Allah didn't give up on him. SubhanaAllah

    2)Nuh alayhissalaam: His wife and son refused to believe in Allah. He didn't give up on him for like what, 900 years? He didn't give up on them UNTIL Allah told him to.

    So yea, subhanaAllah, the stories of the prophets give us so many lessons and examples. I have my own experience of dealing with a close family member. Alhamdulillah, it only works when I tried a gentle approach. Truly Rasulullah's sallallaahualayhiwasallaam gentle character is something that we need to instill in ourselves.

    May Allah make us strong! Ameen.

    p/s: Your ramadhan reflections are great mashaAllah!. Keep them coming! ;D

    ReplyDelete